[ Click For Printable Version ]
DAY ONE: Your new tattoo will be somewhat tender, and will feel like a new sunburn. The care of your tattoo is your responsibility. How you care for it in the week determines the way it will look forever.
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching the tattoo during the healing process.
- Remove bandage carefully - wet with warm water if it sticks.
- Wash tattoo with warm water and a mild antibacterial soap, lathering with hand gently!!
- Rinse tattoo well with warm water, until surface of tattoo feels squeaky clean.
- Pat tattoo dry with a clean, disposable paper towel.
- Apply small amount of ointment to tattoo,(I preffer AQUAPHOR) and work into skin until it feels slightly tacky.
- Tattoo should not be greasy, It will suffocate it, Tattoos need oxygen to heal!! - LESS IS MORE!
DAYS 2 - 14: Healing tattoos will peel and flake; small bits of colored skin will shed. It may not look as "crisp" as the first few days and may appear "hazy". This is completely normal, and will clear up in 2-3 weeks. Continue to wash and dry tattoo twice a day, morning, and night, as directed for in day one. Apply ointment 4-6 times / day, or whenever it feels "dry" being sure to use a small amount only, and work it in.
- Do not rebandage tattoo!
- Do not use washcloth, loofa, or sponge to wash tattoo!
- Do not dry with a towel. Cloth towels can harbor bacteria!
- Do not touch tattoo with dirty hands! Dont let other people touch it either, it seems the first thing other people always wanna do, touch it an ask if it hurt!!
- Do not apply excessive lotion or ointment. tattoo should not look "soggy"
- Do not use products containing aloe vera , alcohol, or cortisone.
- Do not expose tattoo to natural or artificial sunlight for a minimum of 3 weeks
- Do not soak in tub, pool, or lake . All contain bacteria!
- Do not pick or scratch tattoo! If necessary, pat it to relieve itching or use a little lotion.
Antibiotic ointment (Bacitracin, Neosporin + triple antibiotic) is discouraged unless a sign of infection occurs. Please show your artist first. Problems can occur with prolonged use; and the sun should be avoided at all costs, as some ointments are photosensitive, and a rash can develop if exposed to natural or artificial sunlight.
Tattoos generally take 6 weeks to heal completely!! The first week is critical in the healing process!!! Please take care of it, as it represents my workmanship as well!
SOAPS & ANTIBACTERIAL PRODUCTS: Dial antibacterial handwash (preferred) or the like, antibacterial bar soap (unscented), pure & natural soaps.
OINTMENTS & LOTIONS: Aquaphor (preferred), A&D, Lubriderm (unscented), Vaseline Intensive Care